Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Autumn.....

I think that autumn has to be one of my favorite seasons.....even though I am sad that summer has ended with the warm sun and the greens of the garden and trees, there is something about autumn that I absolutely love.......could it be the hint of crispness in the air, the trees all of a sudden, shouting "look at me, I am glorious in all my colors", the crunch of the leaves beneath my feet as I amble down the path in the Park and the cry of the geese and ducks as they prepare to fly south. I read somewhere that autumn is when Nature merely falls asleep and her dreams must be beautiful if we are to judge by her countenance. How true that is.......it is gorgeous in the fall and to take a drive out in the mountains when the trees are in full color is one of my favourite things to do. I feast my eyes on God's creation. I can't get enough. I remember at home in Tiger Hills when September came, yes, it was a new school year but it was also a time when we would work out in the garden, digging potatos, carrots, beets, you name it......we had a large garden.....mom would be busy harvesting and canning.....I can still smell the smoke from the tops of the different vegetables when we would pile it all up in a huge pile and have a bonfire out in the middle of the garden. Jim has fond memories of riding the combine or driving the truck out in the wheatfields often into the wee hours of the morning. Having his mom bring out to the field a wonderful lunch or supper......what could be better and just enjoying the smell of harvest in the air and the twinkling stars at night. There is nothing that is more humbling than being out on the prairies in the dark of night and realizing how small we are in comparison to the vastness of the universe. We so often don't take time to just be thankful for the beauty of autumn around us........

Though nature's beauty may surround us,
It is often UNSEEN by troubled eyes.
With the daily care of living,
Without thought, we pass it by
But to those who are discerning (help us, Lord to be exactly that)
Nature's beauty never cease,
And in its solitude we find
Quiet STRENGTH and sweetest PEACE.

No comments: