Friday, May 05, 2006

Gramma....

My husband's mother lives in a beautiful Care Home not too far from where we live. She has a cozy, big room which she calls home, has found some good friends, and loves the nurses and care-givers. They are good to her. This week was her birthday so last night, we asked her what she would like to do. She replied, "I would like to have Chinese Food, real Chinese Food." So that is what we did. And she enjoyed it so much, she enjoyed just getting out .... it was a beautiful evening. Her daughter also came and we had a good time. Later on in the evening I went back and washed and put curlers in her hair because tonight, she and her friend, Irene from another Care Home are going to the Ice Capades!!!!!! Isn't that cool! And she needed her hair done for that!!!! I think it is so great when older people do not lose that sense of wanting to do new and interesting things for as long as they can even if they are in a wheelchair. Her daughter and her also work together selling jewellery and perfume, etc. from an organization that does the Home party idea which is great for them and it has been good for them to work together. She just had laser surgery on her left eye as well and I think that is going to be good because it will allow her to read more. We have to wait three months, then have a follow-up check on her eyes, then she can get her new glasses. She turned 86, still loves to sing and knows by heart many of the hymns plus other cute songs from her childhood, plays scrabble every Wed. with another resident and his caregiver. More often than not, wins hands down!!!!!! More than anything, her faith and family are so important to her and loves when we come, loves to hear from her children and her grandchildren and greatgrandchildren. She shares her Faith in God and prays about everything. Her prayer list is very long!!! That is just what you do, according to her when problems come is to take it to the Lord in prayer. We are blessed to have her in our lives!

1 comment:

sevenstroms said...

I really wish there was more time to visit with gramma.....I miss the time with her....! She is an amazing woman of faith and I admire her so much! The example she has given to us has been just great....I have learned the importance of being a prayer warrior! Whenever I am with her, I feel COMFORT!! Anyways, Loveyou all!!!! Sus