Thursday, June 29, 2006

Busy days!

We have had 3 very busy days around our household. Gramma's two sisters, Esther and Helen came to visit. They had not been together for 7 years so it was so exciting for them despite the fact that Helen was very nervous about flying from Saskatchewan. Esther and her two daughters drove by car from B.C. on Sunday. They all stayed here and when you have elderly people around, everything moves in "slow mo" and being able to get to the bathroom is a huge priority! Helen is a single gal with a servant heart - she has helped all her brothers and sisters in their homes at one time or another throughout her entire life and now she still lives by herself in her little apartment. I love pampering her when she is here and she loves it too. So every morning, we would decide what she was going to wear (decision making becomes harder and harder as you get older) and then I would do her hair. She is a sweetheart. Esther has worked so hard all her life with raising 10 kids and taking in a foster child. Now she is living with her daughter and has to be helped with things although she does quite well. She knits these little dish cloths that I just love so she was busy doing that while here. And I am using the one she gave me. I love it. They both use walkers and still can get around that way. They have seen joy, sorrow, hard times, happy times and sad times in their life and I honor and appreciate them so much. God has been their strength throughout all these years and still is. It was so touching when we brought Esther up to see Gramma at the Home. I can't explain it in words but you could see the love connection of these two sisters right away. I couldn't hold back the tears. The four sisters that were in that family lost their parents when they were very young and had to be raised by the older brothers and their wives so in those years, they clung to each other and were very close all their lives. I just can't imagine what that was like to lose your parents that young. My heart hurts for them and what they missed. But their faith in their Heavenly Father has brought them through all this and they have a sweet, sweet spirit. I learn alot from them. And the best thing is they are still learning. They love to play Scrabble and had a game every day they were together. I just think that is the best!!!!!! It was a blessed time for them and for us.

1 comment:

sevenstroms said...

I am crying as I read this....I would have loved to be there to witness that reaction! I'm sure it has been so hard for them to be apart so long!! What a wonderful time for them!!! Did they sing when they were all together? I can just picture it! How lovely!!!! Give grandma a big hug from us!!! Loveyou, Sus